EDMONTON – Holy Eucharist Parish – Парафія Пресв. Євхаристії
Location: 6425 – 120 Avenue, Edmonton. The parish was initially organized as a mission, served by the Basilian Fathers from St. Josaphat Parish from 1940 to 1946, after which, Father Andrew Truch, OSBM, served the mission from 1946 to 1949.
The land for the church was bought in 1948. Construction of the church (96’ x 71’) began in 1950 with a hall in the basement and kitchen for Parish events. The church was completed by 1960.
In 1985 there were 275 families. The Parish has an active Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League (UCWLC) and Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood (BUCC). The church has red bricks on the outside, and is painted inside, including the choir balcony. The iconostasis was done some years later. In addition to the church property the parishioners established one of the first Seniors’ homes for our people in 1970 at 7404 – 138 Avenue, Edmonton.
Parish priests who served the community: Fr. Michael Sopulak (1950-1956), Fr. Demetrius Greschuk (1956-1959), Fr. Yaroslaw Fedunyk (1959-1989), Fr. Bohdan Snihurowych (1989-1993), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1993-1997), Fr. William Hupalo (1997-1999), Fr. Michael Kowalchyk (1999-2000), Fr. Myron Pyszcz (2000-2003), Fr. William Hupalo (2003-2008), Fr. Roman Dobrianski (2008-2011), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak (2012-).
EDMONTON – Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Парафія св. Покрови
Location: 3635 – 116 Avenue, Edmonton. The first Ukrainian Divine Liturgy in the Beverly area was celebrated by Basilian Fathers in 1936 in the home of Mr. A. Holyk. The first wooden church was purchased in 1951 from the Roman Catholics. In 1951 there were 50 families. A new brick church was built in 1965 (architects Walter and Michael Kubrak; Mat Baykowsky – contractor). The Parish has a strong Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League (UCWLC) and Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood (BUCC). The Parish was well organized and active with many dedicated members offering their time and financial support. With the financial input of the parishioners, the church was painted in traditional Ukrainian church design and an iconostasis was installed, artistically designed and finished by artist Borys Makarenko in 1984.
Parish priests who served the community: Fr. Basil Martynyk (1951), Fr. Paul Hradiuk (1951-1955), Fr. Euhen Kaminsky (1955-1957), Fr. Oles Zachariasewych (1957-1959), Fr. Basil Chopey (1959-1970), Fr. Basil Woloshyn (1970-1985), Fr. Basil Martynyk (1985-1997), Fr. William Hupalo (1997-1999), Fr. Serhiy Harahuc (1999-2003), Fr. Paul Lysak (2003-2005), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (2005-2012), Fr. Mihajlo Planchak [administrator] (2012).