- The Tenth Annual Bishop’s Gala will take place on Tuesday, December 3 at the Chateau Louis Hotel and Conference Centre, beginning with a cocktail reception and silent auction at 6:00 pm, followed by dinner and an exciting live auction.This festive gala raises funds to support the operation and programming of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton.
Tickets are $180 each or $1440 per table of eight. A charitable tax receipt for $85 will be issued per ticket. Contact the Pastoral Centre to purchase tickets: 780 424 5496 or [email protected].
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 8. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being.And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- The National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples will be celebrated on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin calendar), Patroness of the Americas.In view of this day of prayer, please find attached the 2019 Message for the National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples, with the theme Year of Indigenous Language (as declared by the United Nations).
- Eparchial Clergy, Clergy Families, Seminarians, and Religious – Saint Nicholas Gathering, Thursday, December 27, 10:30 am Divine Liturgy at Saint Sophia Parish, Sherwood Park, (all clergy invited to concelebrate), followed by a Christmas dinner and visit by Saint Nicholas for the children.Join Bishop David in a relaxing and casual day as the eparchial clergy, their families and women and men religious come together in fellowship to celebrate the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and exchange best wishes of peace, hope and joy for the New Year.
- Parishes and organizations are once again invited to share the joyous news of Our Lord’s Birth with Bishop David with the age-old custom of Christmas Carolling. Please contact the Pastoral Centre to schedule a time on Thursday, January 9 (5:00 pm – 7:00 pm).
- Pastors are kindly requested to forward to the Chancery Office by January 31 (or shortly after their annual general parish meeting) the following documents for each parish or mission in their pastoral care:
- A current list of the Parish Council Members, including position, name, address, telephone and e-mail.
- 2019 Financial Statements, as well as a copy of the annual T3010A Registered Charity Information Return (for parishes who issue income tax receipts).
- A photocopy of the Baptismal, Marriage and Death Registers entries for the year 2019.
- 2020 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 25-29, 2020 (Sanctum Retreat Centre). Retreat Master – Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, Order of Saint Bastil the Great.
- 2021 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 17-21, 2021 (Sanctum Retreat Centre).
- Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Bishop Stephen Chmilar. Bishop Stephen, who is in his 75th year of age, served the Eparchy of Toronto for the past 16 years.
At the same time, the Holy Father appointed Bishop Bryan Bayda as Apostolic Administrator of the Eparchy of Toronto. Bishop Bryan remains as the Bishop of the Eparchy of Saskatoon.
- His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav appointed Iryna Laschuk, Chancellor, Eparchy of Edmonton, as a member of the Pastoral Council of the Patriarchal Curia. The newly formed Council will continue the work of Vision 2020: Places to Encounter the Living Christ.
- In light of questions recently raised regarding the efforts of the Catholic Church in Canada to respond to the legacy of clergy sexual abuse, for example by way of the publication of names of the “credibly accused,” the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB) wishes to provide an account of some of the steps the Bishops of Canada are currently taking on this transformative journey:Update on the Implementation of the Guidelines on Protecting Minors From Sexual Abuse
Bishop David, the entire Pastoral Centre staff and volunteers extend to the clergy, religious, monastic, and faithful of the Eparchy of Edmonton a joyous celebration of the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and prayerful best wishes for the New Year.
© 2019 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330